The Office of the Municipal Legal aims to uphold the law giving efficient and effective legal services, responsive to the practical needs of its clients; thereby, giving an outcome of a progressive and peaceful Bontoc where the rights of all men and women are protected and respected.
The Office of the Municipal Legal is mandated to act as Chief Legal Counsel of the Municipal Local Government Unit of Bontoc, Mountain Province and shall take charge of the offices’ legal services.
- Plan and Supervise the work outputs of the staff in the office;
- Provide legal assistance and support to the Mayor and members of the Sangguniang Bayan in carrying out the delivery of basic services and provisions of adequate facilities as provided for under Section 17 of this Code;
- Represent the Municipal Local Government Unit of Bontoc, Mountain Province in all Civil Actions and Special Proceedings wherein the Local Government Unit or any official thereof, in his/her official capacity, is a party: Provided, That, in actions or proceedings where a component city or municipality is a party adverse to the provincial government or to another component city or municipality, a special legal officer may be employed to represent the adverse party;
- When required by the Mayor, draft contracts, bonds, leases and other instruments, involving any interest of the Municipal Local Government Unit of Bontoc, Mountain Province and provide comments and recommendations on any instrument already drawn;
- Render opinion in writing on any question of law when requested to do so by the Local Chief Executive (LCE) or the Sangguniang Bayan;
- Investigate or cause to be investigated any local official or employee for administrative neglect or misconduct in office, and recommend appropriate action to the Mayor or the Sangguniang Bayan, as the case may be;
- Investigate or cause to be investigated any person, firm or corporation holding any franchise or exercising any public privilege for failure to comply with any term or condition in the grant of such franchise or privilege, and recommending appropriate action to the Mayor or the Sangguniang Bayan, as the case may be;
- When directed by the Mayor or the Sangguniang Bayan, initiate and prosecute in the interest of the Local Government Unit concerned any civil action on any bond, lease or other contract upon any breach or violation thereof;
- Provide legal counseling and legal services to walk-in and legal aid clients;
- Render legal comments and recommendations on ordinances referred to the office;
- Review and make comments and recommendations on instruments already drawn;
- Prepare Legal Documents such as the following:
- Contracts of Lease
- Deeds of Donation
- Special Power of Attorney
- Memorandum of Agreement/Understanding
- Deeds of Sale
- Recommend measures to the Sangguniang Bayan and advise the Mayor on all other matters related to upholding the rule of law;
- Be in the frontline of protecting human rights and prosecuting any violations thereof, particularly those which occur during and in the aftermath of man-made or natural disasters or calamities; and
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.